Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"There's a man in the room!"

Today, I sound like a man. My voice is low and wispy (i.e. I sound like I'm whispering all the time) because I got sick on Saturday with a horrible sore throat (and a fever/ chills/ aches/ headache/ etc.) and now I can barely talk. It doesn't hurt too much, but that is mainly because I am taking ibuprofen on a very regular basis. On the plus side, this weekend brought many things to me, particularly an excuse to eat popsicles and nap. Not that I need one, but I felt justified in semi-wasting my time.

I did not go to work on Monday (was still not feeling well), but I came in today and copy edited 6 book reviews straight off. For lunch I went to IHOP with Aaron, where we ate too much and had great conversation. Aaron wants to go there every week, which sounds fun, but I am so full at this point that I think I won't be eating till next week anyways. I think I might try to go home early, because I am still not feeling too swell. I was supposed to go to a Hillsdale event this morning with Liz Cheney, but the metro took twice as long as usual and by the time I got there, I would have been a few minutes late and I decided that I would rather read Graham Greene at the metro station (almost done with the book) than walk in late. Not that my fellow Hillsdalians would be surprised if I was tardy, but I think it would be disrespectful and not be a good reflection of Hillsdale, so I chose to skip it.

In sad news, I found out that Mary Lou Forbes died. She won't be given huge press coverage, but she was a Pulitzer-prize winning writer and the Opinions Editor of TWT. She died on Saturday. Here's an article written by one of my favorite editorial writers Quinn. Mary Lou was a great lady, and I always enjoyed being around her. She had quite the mouth, was smart as a whip, and always let me borrow her scissors. She will be dearly, dearly missed.

I have absolutely no Fourth of July plans and I honestly do not want any. I know I shall end up doing something with the Hillsdale kids, but I can think of nothing more lovely than hanging out with Amanda during the day (preferably in the sunshine), and vegging at night. Maybe it is the semi-sick/sleepy Julie who is literally daydreaming about going to bed while typing this speaking, but I do not find the thought of fighting the mass crowds at the Mall appealing. Matt, Zach, and I had to deal with them on Saturday when we were at the Mall (Matt and I went to museums and then met up with Zach later on--before I took a nap and woke up sick, of course). I think I'm also moping because the last time I talked to Davey on the phone, he kept saying I should come home for the Fourth, and I kept telling him it was too far. I'm sure it sounded like bogus to him since he'll be traveling from St. Louis to Cincy, but it would be too much traveling.

Also, the Waxman-Markey Bill passed because the members of Congress actually hate the people of the United States and want them to suffer for the sake of the environment, which really won't be impacted that much. What's going to happen is 2-3 million jobs will most likely be lost (during a recession, nice) and energy bills are going to skyrocket for average Americans (yeah! double nice!). If you are interested in reading the bill (because if you have something to say about something, you should read the original source, not another's opinion or perception on it), here it it.

Need to start looking more seriously for airline tickets to Wisconsin for Marisa's wedding; also to Chicago, for Pitchfork Music Fest with Claire and Frank and hopefully seeing Julia as well. The wedding is in less than 3 weeks, believe it or not...this summer is going way, way too fast.

The letters editor was nice and answered the phone for me since I would have whispered into it, but it's okay because he owes me for all the times I've picked it up for him haha.

And finally, Happy Tuesday:
"You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count."
-House at Pooh Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment