Tuesday, July 14, 2009

turn it up, that's enough, so you know it's got soul --van morrison

Today I am wearing my black pencil skirt. I remember buying it for recruitment and thinking, I will never wear this (except for Kappa). Then, one day, I decided to try it with an oxford, and a few weeks after that with a ruffled blouse from J.Crew and now? Well today I am wearing it with a purple v-neck, green cardigan, and metallic flats. I would like to thank Heather for telling me to stop being a baby and wear the black skirt outside Kappa functions because it has become one of my favorite skirts to wear to the office. It is tres chic, and always in style.

Edited two book reviews, checked up on publishers, ordered a few more. I am looking around for books to review for the Collegian in the fall. I have all ready found two: Race and Liberty in America, edited by Jonathan Bean and The Duty of Delight: The diaries of Dorothy Day, edited by Robert Ellsberg. I also found a collection on T.S. Eliot and a fiction--Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I am very open to them.

Nice chats with the managing and letters editors this morning; they are definitely my two favorites in the office, outside my editor, who is just the sweetest.

I might be meeting up with Hillsdale pals for drinks tonight but am definitely seeing Harry Potter 6 at midnight. I am thus feeling motivated to be very productive today. I've finished all my work so far, so I think I'm going to read my second book! It seems so decadent to be reading a book in the middle of the day.

When in DC, my favorite tool to use is the DC Metro Trip Planner. For all those unawares, I tend to run on Julie time, which means I either over or under estimate how much time is needed (usually the latter) to get somewhere. This handy dandy contraption tell you either what time the trains will arrive if you get somewhere at this time, or what time you should leave if you want to get somewhere by a certain time (you can only imagine how much I love the second option). It has other dandy variables to play with too (like date and time), which makes traveling a little easier.

This was the reflection today; it is from Pope Paul VI and discusses the call of Christ. It is very, very good. Read here.

Rach passed along this article to me from G. It's called "The Audacity of the Pope" and was published in the New York Times. Very intriguing and a good read.

And finally: my friend Katie sent a mass e-mail with her contact information for the next year because she is going to be a FOCUS missionary at the University of Auburn in Alabama this fall. According to Katie,

"
FOCUS (the Fellowship of Catholic University Students) is a national outreach that sends teams of missionaries to college campuses to meet students where they are and invite them to examine the meaning and purpose of their lives. We host large-group outreach events such as conferences and retreats, as well as Bible Studies to build students up and encourage them in their faith. We also do one-on-one mentoring, investing our lives into the students we work with, just loving them and offering guidance as to how to live their faith in the midst of the demands and distractions of everyday life. "

Doesn't that sound great?! I wish Hillsdale had something like that. Anyways, this quote was at the bottom of her e-mail and I love it:


"The world promises you comfort. But you were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness." --Pope Benedict XVI


Happy Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment