Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September 1, 2009

Today is my cousin Tommy's birthday and the day before I start my senior year of college. I moved into the Kappa house on Sunday and am still unpacking due to my socializing around campus. I start school tomorrow and still have much to do, but I wanted to give a little update.

At this point, I am loving being back on campus, loving seeing everyone, loving the beautiful fall weather, loving living in the house. Wait till tomorrow to see how much love is still left in my bones, but I am sure lots will still be there. I need to finish organizing everything before I feel like I can wholly commit myself to the semester. I have SO many books...Heather (my roommate for those unawares) found another two boxes of them. I'll have the final count for y'all soon.

The poem of the day is (obviously) "September 1, 1939" by W.H. Auden. It is darker, but very prevalent. The last line of the second to last stanza was extremely controversial in the day. Auden, later in life, would oftentimes not let the line or the poem be included in anthologies and if it did, the 'or' would be changed to 'and.' You may thank NPR for enlightening me on that subject today! This was also the day Nazi Germany invaded Poland and thus started WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment