Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 is a day to always, always remember

Skipping lunch today, not hungry. I will be in about a half hour, but would rather keep working at this point. We are having blueberry pancakes today, according to Heather. I'm editing my Seeger review again so that I can send it to Casey, the Arts editor ( to be published in next week's paper, stay tuned!). He's really enthusiastic about the section and is letting me have a lot of say, which is really nice. I'm also helping my friend Zach decide what phone to get.

My friend Hunter is E-I-C of another CN paper, The GW Patriot and they have a fairly active blog. His post today was on Michelle Obama wanting the GW seniors to do 100,000 hours of community service and then she'll be their commencement speaker. I posted my comment/ thoughts on the subject, but it certainly is something to think about: is compulsary community service really service to the community?

I'm going to write a brief post on 9/11 for the Forum. I'll always remember I was in my 8th grade English class when my Civics teacher ran in and turned on the t.v. and I saw, for the first time in my life, real evil existed in the world. And it changed my life and perceptions forever. I'll maybe link to it later. I need to read now, which means I'll probably spend half my time scribbling down article ideas.

Also, more proof that my last name will be abused for the rest of my life :) in an endearing way, of course:
Zach: RHYMEALONE!... I think that's your new nickname, since you like English. And it sounds exactly like your last name.
Julie: Except not at all!
Zach: Eggzachly

Busy weekend:
Friday (today) class at 3, then helping serve wine at EX's faculty reception (I was actually really flattered they asked me since I'm friends with a bunch of them, but I'm certainly not a groupie), then KKG's freshmen boys ice cream social from 6-8, 9/11 memorial service on the quad from 8-9 and then a few parties for the rest of the night.
Saturday: the whole chapter is going down to Columbus to the Heritage Museum, KKG's HQ. We're the only fraternity to own the house of a Founder and have our HQ there, so that is very neat. Also, our chapter only goes once every 4 yearss AND my big April works there so I will get to see her!!
Sunday: Open House, start of fall recruitment! Dinner with Kate and Heather, start of CCA I: Lincoln, Toqueville and America.

I know I sound super-fratty, but I really will be getting homework/ reading done this weekend! I have to; I can't afford not to at this point. Too much to do.

On a final note, Dr. Sundahl told me to use my "sweet, Kappa voice" to read poetry aloud in class, which I loved (he's hilarious and one of my favorite professors; very much a character). It was really great and then he asked me to read an epigram which he originally said was Shakespeare, but it's actually Longfellow:

"Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us,
Footprints on the sands of time."

Be well, and have a wonderful, sunshine-filled weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment