Thursday, September 24, 2009

Happy Sir Arthur Guinness Day!

Tonight at 10 I shall be drinking Guinness with friends. It sounds like such a deliciously good time that I can hardly keep from smiling. I'll be in the library all day, finishing up my Birzer precis and annotated bibliography. (Ahh! It will be done!!) Dr. Somerville is giving a talk at 4 in Mossey on Flannery O'Connor (!), Walker Percy, Richard Ford and Don Delillo, which should be excellent. Kappa's scholarship formal dinner is tonight at 6, babysitting the Siegels at 7:30 and then over to my friends's house to drink Guinness and enjoy life for an hour before academics coerce me back up the hill.

Tonight is also Sigma Chi's Jail 'n Bail for Derby Days. I have not been issued a "warrent" yet, so I'm probably in the clear. I remember I was supposed to meet my Big last year and I ended up getting jailed and having to call her not only to let her know I would be late but, oh, would you mind popping by the union and paying for my release? I think it was a big step in our relationship. I'm really hoping I don't get jailed, although it would not be the end of the world if I did. More of an inconvience or a hilarious misunderstanding than anything else.

I read 2 Timothy this morning in the blue room. It's short, but it's one of my favorite books in the Bible. Favorite verses include:
--"He saved us and called us to a holy life, not according to our works but according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began." (1:9)
--"You have followed my teaching, way of life, purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, and sufferings...Yet from all these things the Lord delivered me. In fact, all who want to live religiously in Christ Jesus will be persecuted....But you, remain faithful to what you have learned and believed, because you know from whom you learned it, and that from infancy you have known [the] sacred scriptures, which are capable of giving you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." (3:10-12, 14-15)
--"I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith." (4:7)

Yesterday, many good things happened and a few bad things, too, but c'est la vie! It keeps life in perspective. It's important to see all as necessary for growth as a person and growth in Jesus Christ, even when you make mistakes. I'm becoming more and more convicted that there are few regrets that I have that are actually regrettable; most are just embaressments to my pride which have helped me come out on top in other situations. Do you agree? Do you too think everything happens for a reason? Is not only important to see life as wonderful but to recognize what Eliot too saw--the boredom, the horror, and the glory--wholly encompassed in one great and divine at the core, if not lost and misunderstood at the top?

Happy day, friends! Be sure to drink a Guinness or two for good measure. I recommend from the tap, if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment