Wednesday, October 21, 2009

twitchy mustache part two

As seen in Lane 235-- The Grinch according to Homer:
"...and the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day
it burst forth upon the ground besides
his kidneys and spleen. His soul flew
away like a flying fish. Zeus in his
wisdom hit it with a shovel."

More reasons why I love going to Hillsdale: there's humor in antiquity (or an application of it, at least) and a respect for the past! Robert Frost was all about the continuity the modern world holds with the classical world, which is why I enjoy his poetry so much. (I'm also a former Classics minor, so that might play into it as well.) I think it is presumptuous (and pompous, for that matter) to think our age is the Golden one, the one which provide all the answers. But to worship at the alter of Modernity, the bearer of all things good of this world, is to not acknowledge the design of a greater Being who laid the foundation for all. This is the greatest loss for our society.

Not counting my own trivial whines about all the work I have to do at school, it is comforting to know there is an Almighty, all-Knowing, all-Merciful and Loving God supporting humanity in our triumphs and trials. Especially in this past, short week, I've been praying a great deal: there was a tragic death two nights ago in Cincinnati, which is greatly affecting many of my cousins; friends have come to me in distress; even my own soul has been groaning from exhaustion. I do not know what I would do without God, the source of all good and all grace, especially dark grace. In the good, I am blessed; in the bad, I am blessed. I am blessed especially in friends, whose friendship and fellowship plays its role in my life, affecting me every day, in mostly smallish but significant ways. Life is so beautiful.

I have three midterms Friday (Art History, Robert Frost and Founding of the American Republic), so I am steadily studying each day, with the help of coffee, note cards and notes. Thank goodness for being organized and looking ahead! Lots of memorizing-- significant stack of AH slides, three Frost poems, and a plethora of dates, events and people up to the First Continental Congress in Philly. Thank goodness for the Coldplay station on Pandora.

Robert Frost class was great again today, especially since Dr. Sundahl kept having me preface a few of his remarks with phrases like "old paper twitchy mustache," which of course refers to him while at the same time, to me, since at my group's presentation last week we donned white paper mustaches, which he nearly died laughing at (turned a lovely shade of red, which is impressive for a man from Norwegian descent). He tells me that I'll "never live that down." More reason to love the class! If you can't poke fun at yourself (0r the professor, for that matter), you're too serious about life, which is silly. Even God has a sense of humor.

On a happy note, we had a Hillsdale alum who's an editor now for the Associated Press come into our journalism class yesterday who was simply a delight to listen and talk to. He's been scheduling meetings with kids in the journalism program, but I didn't schedule one because
A) I didn't even know he was coming and
B) I'm not really in the program, even if I am sort of (I started the Books section in the paper and get a scholarship for it, so I'm more of an honorary).
Anyways, I got an e-mail from one of the department heads saying he greatly enjoyed how engaged I was in class and was hoping to meet with me. So we have a meeting today at 5. I'm sure it'll go splendidly, and it will be nice to talk to someone in the field to better figure out which direction I can better go since I'm not into reporting as a profession (writing yes, editing yes, grunt reporting work no--not my preference). I don't really have time for it, but I'm still excited.

I am off to study more. My day looks like this: wake-up, class, study, eat, study, class, study, meeting, eat, study, KKG meeting, HF meeting, study, a beer with the guys, more studying until nighttime prayer/bed.

Happy Wednesday! Weather in Hillsdale today is lovely. It looks and feels like Fall in the Midwest. Leaves are changing colors and falling to the ground. There's a nice breeze and it's supposed to get up to 68 degrees. People are studying outside and teachers are lingering on the quad to talk, opposed to hurrying off to their offices. I love Indian Summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment