Monday, October 5, 2009

Song of the day is "Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle and Sebastian

Today needs to be productive, so I shall be brief. Art History was marvelous. I'm really enjoying learning about the Greek art and architecture right now. It's fascinating to learn the frieze of the Parthenon, for example, was actually painted garishly and brightly colored, which has since the paint has since been worn away by the elements, leaving only the placid white of the marble. I'm printing off the slides right now to start studying. The first test crept up on me unexpectedly and I shan't be pulling another all-nighter to study for it. No bueno.

Robert Frost class continues to be my favorite. Dr. Sundahl was teasing me again today, but I served it back to him, which made him laugh and give me a "touche." Frost was very influenced by the classics and transcendentalists. It's fascinating reading about his life outside class, being immersed in what influenced him/ what was happening around him in the world that he felt the need to "take the road not taken" in class and then his actual poetry and prose. I feel like I could write a book, the thoughts are whooshing through me, my pen not able to keep up with my hand's motions and intent.

In other news, I have Joey tomorrow for an entire day of being my helper and I have nothing to do with him. I'm tempted to have him make photocopies for my research paper. We're also baking cookies and I'll have him deliver those. My only other plan is to have him paint the square at the end of the walk to the house blue because he said he can paint things solid colors well and that needs to be done.

The background is that I bought Joey during Derby Days at the Servant for a Day auction, which I know sounds completely degrading, but he really is the sweetest kid and the only EX I would have even considered bidding on, ever. I think it takes nerves to get up there and offer yourself up to the public, and that type of bravado should be rewarded. At least in Joey; I don't wholly believe so in a few of his brothers. Anyways, ideas of what to do with him would be readily welcomed. He can't write my two papers for me, so I think we're at a bypass.

Off to prayer in the fishbowl, then the library till Founding to read and write.
This week is all ora et labora (prayer and work). Lots of prayer, lots of work!

Happy Monday!


"The dogma is the drama—not beautiful phrases, nor comforting sentiments, nor vague aspirations to loving kindness and uplift, nor the promise of something nice after death — but the terrifying assertion that the same God who made the world lived in the world and passed through the grave and gate of death. Show that to a heathen, and they may not believe it; but at least they may realize that here is something that a man might be glad to believe."
--Dorothy L. Sayers, from "Creed or Chaos"

2 comments:

  1. He's a sophomore EX, cousins of the DeLapps and is so nice. I'm going to have him bake cookies and wash Vivian's car :) I'll tell you how well he completes his tasks haha

    ReplyDelete