Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Give your evidence," said the King; "and don't be nervous, or I'll have you executed on the spot."

Last week, I convinced my good friend Anna to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. This week, I was thrilled to hear she had not only been to read it, but how much she now loves it too. 

An appreciation of Lewis Carroll is a type of litmus test for many close friends; upon finding out that someone likes Alice too, I immediately like them more. I can't help it! I feel the same way about people who share my fondness for crayons and/ or play soccer.




I don't have the time today to go into why I love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland so much (the book- the movie(s) hardly do justice to the genius), but I wish I did.

I wish I could participate in the Caucus Race or the Lobster Quadrille ("Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail./ "There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail./ See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!/ They are waiting on the shingle — will you come and join the dance?/ Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?") ...

Or have a discussion on the fabulousness of the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon...

Oh, and I'd like to know what y'all think about the Duchess, a catalyst in the book that Disney just happened to leave out, and playing croquet with hedgehogs and company...

But I can't! I'm sorry! I simply don't have time. Bonus depreciation calls!

But here's the book's beginning poem by Lewis Carroll, as due compensation:

All in the golden afternoon
Full leisurely we glide;
For both our oars, with little skill,
By little arms are plied,
While little hands make vain pretence
Our wanderings to guide.

Ah, cruel Three! In such an hour,
Beneath such dreamy weather,
To beg a tale of breath too weak
To stir the tiniest feather!
Yet what can one poor voice avail
Against three tongues together?

Imperius Prima flashes forth
Her edict "to begin it!":
In gentler tones Secunda hopes
"There will be nonsense in it!"
While Tertia interrupts the tale
Not more than once a minute.

Anon, to sudden silence won,
In fancy they pursue
The dream-child moving through a land
Of wonders wild and new,
In friendly chat with bird or beast--
And half believe it true.

And ever, as the story drained
The wells of fancy dry,
And faintly strove that weary one
To put the subject by,
"The rest next time--" "It is next time!"
The happy voices cry.

Thus grew the tale of Wonderland:
Thus slowly, one by one,
Its quaint events were hammered out--
And now the tale is done,
And home we steer, a merry crew,
Beneath the setting sun.

Alice! A childish story take,
And, with a gentle hand,
Lay it where Childhood's dreams are twined
In Memory's mystic band.
Like pilgrim's wither'd wreath of flowers
Pluck'd in a far-off land.

In all seriousness, if you haven't read it, or you haven't read it in years, I strongly suggest you do. I can't bear to think of a person misplacing their sense of wonder and or not enjoyment of the nonsensical! For all those busy bees out there, it is not too long either- under 100 pages. Easy peasy!

There are no excuses, people!
Anyways- No time to say hello! (Goodbye!) I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!

(and a Happy Thursday to you too!)

p.s. today is the 255th Birthday of Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart!

Glorious:



Steve Klugewicz wrote a fantastic post on TIC entitled "Thoughts on Mozart, on his 255th Birthday" that is worth a read.

1 comment:

  1. oh and I forgot Bill the Lizard! and chasing the hedgehogs around during the croquet game!

    http://anna-gemutlichkeit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete