Friday, January 28, 2011

Hakuna Matata

Week Nine of Ridiculosity:



one

It's called "The Fun Theory":




So fun!


two

Today is the feast day of St. Thomas Aquinas, a personal favorite and a Dominican! In case you need convincing of his awesomeness...

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."

"For loving draws us more to things than knowing does, since good is found by going to the thing, whereas the true is found when the thing comes to us."

"Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious."

Josef Piper's Guide to Aquinas or G.K. Chesterton's biography on Aquinas are both good resources for learning more about "the Dumb Ox."

three

"If we accept that the mother can kill her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another. Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what it wants."

--Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

four

A few of this week's reads:

Elizabeth Scalia wrote a simply marvelous piece called "Uncredentialed Wonders"

Michael Cook wrote "No Right to Assisted Suicide, says European Court" at BioEdge

John W. Martens wrote "Purgatory: Feel the Burn" at Patheos (Scalia posted a Protestant's take on Purgatory earlier this week, from First Things in April 2002 by Jerry L. Walls, called "Purgatory for Everyone")

"A Modest Proposal: Be a Bother" by Mary Anne Moresco on CatholicExchange

At TIC, I wrote a piece called "Protect Our Progress!" and Steve Masty, our man in Kabul, wrote a really thought-provoking piece called "Among the Paynim: Burqa Boogaloo"

Check 'em out!
five

This has been a long week, because of deadlines. Now, I am used to deadlines, but not deadlines involving bonus depreciation. What a curve ball in my efficiency! Last night, I left work at 8 so I could come home and work for two more hours on something I want DONE.

But not before I had some fun with the family. Pets included, obviously!

Poor Heidi hurt her paw and has a typical Catholic martyr complex, as my sister Muffy says, putting her own pain aside as as she tries to stay close to the family with the least amount of movement. Unfortunately, she still yelps a little bit when she tries to climb on the couch/ up the stairs/ etc., but she seemed better when I let her out this morning, which is wonderful! We've tried to all stay in one area, so she won't try to move as much, but boy does she move when someone comes a-knocking at the front door!


I went in the basement to do more work and watch Taming of the Shrew (so good!) and the cats kept me company. But don't be deceived by #2 snoozing on the other couch; he spent half my time rubbing against my right hand and climbing on my laptop's keyboard until I would put it aside and pet him!


And really, how could I deny affection to this level of cuteness?!


six

Could you draw a city you've never been to before in excruciating detail after one fly-over in a helicopter?

Because that's what this autistic man did! AMAZING:





seven

I love this!

"Laughter and love are everywhere. The cathedrals, built in the ages that loved God, are full of blasphemous grotesques. The mother laughs continually at the child, the lover laughs continually at the lover, the wife at the husband, the friend at the friend."

--G.K. Chesterton

Happy Friday! I hope you all have a good weekend and a successful end to your week. See Conversion Diary for more.

3 comments:

  1. Julie,
    More great book suggestions. I definitely want to read Aquinas by Chesterton. Also great quote from Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. I think I am going to post that on my Facebok page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor dog looks so pained! Have a good weekend to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some awesome quotes! Thanks!

    wow. WOW. wow. Steven is extremely impressive. How cool that this one was of Rome, poignant choice! That was so incredible. I want to find this guy and congratulate him. The guy said "Steven likes to be praised for his work." He gets my praises!

    ReplyDelete