Sunday, August 21, 2011

There is some blue sky! Let us chase it!

“Speak about Christ only when you are asked. But live so that people ask about Christ!” exclaimed Paul Claudel. Claudel, a 20th Century French poet, dramatist and diplomat, was a revert to his Roman Catholic faith. When he was 18 years old, he was an agnostic; then, during Christmas day Mass, he had a mystical vision. He reported that he heard voice say, “There is a God.”

Paul Claudel in 1927
Continue reading post at Virtuous Planet>>>>>

3 comments:

  1. Some day you will have to read L'annonce faite a Marie by Paul Claudel. It's my absolute favorite book in French. Of all the lit courses I took at Hillsdale, this book was above all the rest, my absolute favorite. He incorporates this experience that he had with the story of Joan of Arc. It's really quite amazing. His sister Camille Claudel is also one of the most celebrated sculptors in history. She went crazy. But her works are highly remembered. Really interesting family. Thanks for mentioning him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am currently on the prowl for more Claudel...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudel was the only author I enjoyed reading in my Modern French Plays class at Hillsdale. If I remember correctly, it was L'annonce faite a Marie that we read, just like longtimetraveller said, but I remember it as a play rather than a book. In any case, I'm glad you like him too!

    ReplyDelete