Saturday, August 28, 2010

I'll Drink to That!

On this, the feast of St. Augustine, I talked to my good friend Karen on the phone. Next Saturday, Karen will be entering the Sisters for Life as a postulate. Please pray for this beautiful soul and friend who is wholly devoting her life to the service of the Lord through a religious vocation. We met our first semester of college in a sociology 101 class. She is bubbly and intellectual and I am so excited to see where life takes her!


For fun, I thought I would share her favorite quotes from her FB account (which she will be deleting in a week):


"If I am tempted and afflicted with many tribulations, I will fear no evils while your grace is with me. This is my strength. This will give me counsel and help. This is more powerful than all my enemies and wiser than all the wise. This is the mistress of truth, the teacher of discipline, the light of the heart, the consoler in anguish, the banisher of sorrow, the expeller of fear, the nourisher of devotion, the producer of tears. What am I without grace, but dead wood, a useless branch, fit only to be cast away?"
-St. Thomas a Kempis


"I can do anything through Christ crucified, for I know truly that he does not lay a heavier load on his creatures than they can bear."
-St. Catherine of Siena


"Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament . . . There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth . . . which every man's heart desires."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien


"If angels could be envious, they would envy us for two things: one, being able to receive Holy Communion, and secondly, because we can suffer."
-St. Faustina


"You know you're poor when the Missionaries of Charity novices bring you their leftover food."
-Br. Nathanael, IVE


Women were born to be taken care of by men. I do believe that's the law of the universe.
-Pat Buckley to Women’s Wear Daily, 1977


Vivian and PD stopped at my house for lunch. They are on their way from Georgia up to Michigan. V also gave me a small crock pot for my apartment. It's definitely Julie-sized! I am enjoying another nice weekend at home. I went to my little sister's high school's football game last night with her and our younger brother, had breakfast with my godmother and her family and am currently working on book reviews. I'll go back to C-bus tomorrow after mass to spend the day with Big at her family's house!


For a good read, enjoy my former dept. chair's latest article on St. Augustine and his influences on Christopher Dawson and Russell Kirk:
"For Dawson and Kirk, St. Augustine served as both the lodestar in confronting the evils of the world and as a means by which the modern traditionalist should navigate in turbulent ideological waters."


St. Augustine is the patron saint of brewers. Upon realizing he was wrong in not becoming a Christian after accepting the Truth because he did not think he could leave a pure life, he said to a friend, "Unlearned people are taking Heaven by force, while we, with all our knowledge, are so cowardly that we keep rolling around in the mud of our sins!"


Have a blessed and relaxing Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment