Wednesday, July 7, 2010

State Budget Meeting, Round Two

At the second budget meeting for the summer: "The State Fiscal Situation." The room is absolutely packed. The guy presenting this power point can't be more than two years older than me.

Speaking of age gaps, my youngest sister made herself a Gmail account. I found this out when the three little kids group gchatted me right before the meeting started. Even though I enjoyed talking to them for a little bit, I felt a little sad at how fast they are growing up. Getting an e-mail always seemed like a rite of passage for me. I made one when I was 13. I remember this random Julie trivia because my e-mail address was "julesrob13" (I've always been really creative with my e-mail).

The ten-year-old to me : i'm so excited
now we can talk more often!

Next guy up, at least 8-10 years older: “State Measures to Balance FY 2010 and FY 2011 Budgets” and he's discussing tax increases: gambling, motor fuel and vehicle taxes/ fees; sales, corporate income and personal income taxes; selective taxes; other revenue taxes (i.e. film tax, condiment taxes, soda tax). Now talking about making cuts to K-12 and higher education...

Okay, this meeting is tedious. I've got 3 articles to finish, so I'm going to multi-task now while still listening. I can't believe this commission only intends on having two meetings. They have a lot of work to do between now and November. I too have a lot of work to do, but between now and 8 p.m., which is when I have dinner plans. I can't find a copy of the power point on Gongwer either, which slightly annoys me.

I started making my own budget last night. I'm currently deciding how much of my salary will go towards living expenses, paying back my loans, shuffled into savings and having available. It's a good exercise in priorities!

Oh, there's another presentation: "Ohio's Budget: Steady Fiscal Control in Turbulent Times." How jolly. There's a gavel! And so it continues... another Great Depression reference.

Also, if it seems that these presentations are going fast, don't be deluded. The first set took and hour and a half. :) I just type fast and then ignore the post until something slightly worth commenting on happens. Lots is happening, but not much is worth a mention. I wonder how much more fun this job would be if people cut the BS. For instance, Sabety: "While I am optimistic, clearly, we are not out of the woods yet." Wah-wah-wah! Oh! Her system is shutting down! This is incredibly ironic.

Today it's David McCullough's birthday: "Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment