Thursday, December 3, 2009

More reasons I'm an idiot for forgetting my wallet at home

I specifically avoid shopping (I was no where near a mall on Black Friday), especially on-line shopping. I simply don't enjoy it. It's fine if other people do; I do not. I feel like even when you make good purchases occasionally, it does not make up for all the consumerism surrounding it and the potential bad purchases if one is not strong enough to say "no!" Besides the obvious downfall of going into the red, I find shopping, on a whole, too time-consuming and boring.

Few people would agree with me. Rachel, for one, I am sure is shaking her head at me as she reads this. My roommate Heather would not be happy to hear me say so, although she knows this sentiment of mine. She thinks I'm silly. She loves shopping. This is the same person who, on the drive down to Cincinnati for Fall Break, to me: "This is why I'm going home with Kate--we're going shopping! Julie's just going to drink and read." (Which I did, plus have awesome adventures with friends.)

My mother, however, recently asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year. My typical response was "running shoes" because I need them every year and they are not cheap. She says I need to ask for more (other people in the family buy for me too), so I started thinking. I found this great book in the Mossey library, so I think I might ask for that. If I can't find my copy of The Life Your Save May Be Your Own: An American Pilgrimage (a book about Catholic writers in the 20th century, specifically Walker Percy, Flannery O'Connor, Thomas Merton and Dorothy Day) that I left at home because Dad wanted to read it, then I'll ask for another copy. When I was home for Thanksgiving I looked for it but could not find it anywhere. Lame!

To continue, last winter, J.Crew had these cute ear muffs that I really liked, so I went to the website to see if they were selling them again. (They're not--at least, not the ones I want.) I casually clicked my way into the "Sale" section and then on the "Dresses," my favorite section. That's when I found this dress. (!!)


Fine, I can't drink because I don't have my ID. But really? Depriving me from buying this decently-priced dress that I happen to like very much? (I'm imagining summertime right now.) I can't help feeling like my parents are behind this, even though it is very much my own fault for not having my wallet on me at present. If someone out there doesn't like it, let me know, and I'll try to see your rationale. I think the green is the best color the dress is offered in, although there are 10 other colors it comes in currently.

Sigh. Back to work.

EDIT: Dean Pete's wife called me back. She's desperate for someone to babysit this afternoon. I really don't have time for this at all, but I know how my mom was when I wasn't old enough to babysit, so I'll offer it up as a sacrifice. This is the Advent season after all. AND I get to play with five little kids!! Less time to paper-write, more time appreciating God's gifts in small, rowdy packaging.


Oh, my favorite holiday commercial:



Happy Thursday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment