Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's a good weekend for Charger football!

Hillsdale College Chargers played in their FIRST D2 play-off game today (since joining the NCAA in 1992) and WON in overtime!! Next weekend, they'll be at Grand Valley State for the second round. Grand Valley was number one in GLIAC for a really long time (I want to say 20+ years, but I could be wrong) until Hillsdale's team beat them this year, Homecoming weekend, which you can rest assure caused quite a skadoo. So, next Saturday, you can guess where I will be.

My friend Will took pictures of the team since he's traveling with them; if you'd like to see a few pre-game pictures, here they are. I'm sure he'll upload game ones later.

In other Julie football news, Cincinnati Bearcats are still #5 in the Big east, Bengals play the Steelers tomorrow...

My day had been relatively low-key: wrote a review of the SAI concert, edited articles, took a walk with Vivy over to the graveyard (the weather continues absolutely gorgeous--I was in shorts, my fleece and sandals today), and doing various little things. The HF is going to press this weekend, so I'm keeping tabs on layout. I'm currently working on an my AQ article. I shall stop soon to type up more of my James Otis research paper. Battle of the Bands is tonight, which should be a lot of fun. I don't feel like going right now, but I know I'll need to take a break eventually.

I'm feeling rawther contemplative. This is very much a pray without ceasing, trusting in Him time of my life. I realize life should be so in general, and I like to think it is, but right now it is especially so. This was today's "commentary of the day" from the Daily Gospel (which e-mails me the first, second, psalm and Gospel readings every day). I think it's just beautiful and fits my mood as well:

Commentary of the day :

Saint José Maria Escriva de Balaguer (1902-1975), priest, founder
Sermon of 26/03/67 in 'Es Cristo que pasa'

"Pray at all times"


"Pray at all times" commands the apostle Paul (1Th 5,17). Calling to mind this precept, Clement of Alexandria writes: "We have been commanded to praise and honor the Word, which we know to be our Savior and King, and through him the Father, not on certain select days as others do, but continually our whole lives long and in every possible way."

Amidst our daily occupations, at times when we overcome our egoistical tendencies, when we experience the joy of friendship towards others: at all such times Christians must discover God. Through Christ and in the Holy Spirit, Christians gain intimacy with God the Father and run along the way as they seek that kingdom which, although it is not of this world (Jn 18,36), is prepared for in this world and begins in this world.

We need to go regularly to Christ in the Word and the Bread, in the Eucharist and prayer. And stay with him frequently as one stays with a friend, a real, living being – as Christ is, being risen... Christ, the risen Christ is our companion, our Friend. A companion who is only to be seen in the semi-darkness but whose reality fills our lives and makes us want his company permanently. "The Spirit and the Bride say: Come! Let the hearer say: Come! Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water... The one who gives this testimony says: Yes, I am coming soon! Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!" (Rv 22,17.20).


And, finally:
"A lady does not just order a salad at a restaurant when she is on a date if she really wants a hamburger. She realizes the men who would not want her because she has an appetite are not worth the trouble."
-How to be a Lady

Ha! So great. Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment