Friday, May 29, 2009

Measuring my days in coffee spoons...or pumps, whichever

Today my boss bought me coffee because we needed it. She likes hers black coffee, with one half and half. I like French vanilla coffee plus three French vanilla creamers because I not so secretly hate coffee but drink it in order to function as a human being. Now when I say she bought it, I mean she gave me money and I trekked down a couple flights of stairs to the cafeteria where I got two small, forest green styrofoam cups that say "cafe" on them in gold cursive lettering because it implies that somehow the coffee is now fancy. I like the French vanilla because it's the only flavor (of the flavored coffee) that doesn't slightly scare me in terms of how it will taste. I technically could have regular coffee and then add creamer to it, but I don't want to clean out the creamer bowl every day and they do not offer milk for one's coffee, which is what I usually dilute it with when "forced" to drink it. (Bear, I thought you would like the quotation marks around forced.)

What I really want from the cafeteria is the fresh fruit, because it looks oh so fresh and delicious. It's got raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes, pineapple and more I did not notice. Hillsdale should take a lesson from this newspaper who manages to get actual fresh fruit for meals. Nutrition is always appreciated. Nonetheless, fresh fruit does not have the immediate results that coffee produces in my system, even if the fruit may help with my longevity. I shall not be buying the fruit today, however, because I am determined to spend money on necessities. My lunch today will suffice fine (peanut butter and jam sandwich, banana, and yogurt!), I'm just having fruit envy.

McFadden's last night was a lot of fun. John and I got there early-ish (I'm never wholly on time for anything, much to my chagrin) and had a Yuengling to start us off. Well, a few Yuenglings. Then Dennis got there, and we had a few more before JJ found us. He said there were six people signed in under my name, but I never did find out who else was there. I didn't really care. I had a great time talking with the guys, and then after JJ left and we finished off the alcohol we had been collecting, John, Dennis, and I went off in search of Chipotle in Chinatown. Unfortunately, we got there a little too late, so we went to RFD and had grilled cheese and tomato soup (and more beer). It was so delicious. I think I might make myself a grilled cheese for dinner tonight. Then we went home, because the thought of work in the morning was looming. I, of course, got locked out of my apartment because my key was being difficult. I felt horrible for calling Rachel, but she was such a sweetheart about it.

I don't have any plans for the weekend because I am trying to lie low until I get paid, but my friend Deb from school is in town, so I shall most likely see her. We've been going back and forth. Also, Mrs. O'D's former student is coming into town Saturday, so I am thinking I shall be taking her out to dinner on Saturday or Sunday. If I do, I am taking her to Tonic.

I keep finding books I like, and they keep
A) being all ready assigned to someone else
B) are going to be assigned to someone else
C) being too old (i.e. published over 3 months ago)
I can tell my editor feels bad, but she shouldn't, and I suppose it's a good thing that I keep picking out all the good books!! I'll find one eventually. I'm actually loving this book called A Neighborhood Guide to Washington D.C.'s Hidden History by Jeanne Fogle. I know it sounds super-touristy, but it's actually really great!

I'm excited to go for a run, take a shower, eat dinner, lard around, and sleep tonight. TGIF.

2 comments: