Monday, May 18, 2009

Case of the Mondays

Today I had breakfast with my dog Heidi on one side of my chair and one of my cats, Beau, on the other (We have three cats, whom I call The Snobs). I know it's dumb, but I realized it's just another thing I'm going to miss when I leave on Friday for DC.

On that note, I bought my train ticket today. It is scheduled to leave at 3:29 a.m. on Friday, and arrive at Union Station at 5:55 p.m. I am dubious about the accuracy of those times, considering past experiences on trains, but still optimistic. I talked to my friend Emily (from Hillsdale, fellow American Studies major, all ready in DC), and she recommends inducing sleep. I think I might, seeing as I cannot sleep on public transportation unless I am literally passing out from exhaustion--and even then I'm fighting it the whole time.

I'm working at Dad's office for the rest of the week. No comment, except to say the only reason I am still in Cincinnati is to make a few more dollars (especially since I'm not getting paid till mid-June) and to see family/friends, if only for a brief time. I hung out with Claire, Jimmy, and Jeff last night and it was so unbelievably fun. It's weird to think I've known them for six-seven-eight years now. Claire and Jeff will be in town this summer, but Jimmy's off to Chicago.

Just found out Dakota will be in Old Town! He's an American Studies major with me, and oh-so-awesome. We became friends in Birzer and Gamble. Ithink it's an unofficial requirement for American Studies majors to be in DC. This summer we'll have Ryan, Matt, Emily, Dakota, and me--that I know of so far! Yay Dogwoodians!

Okay, that's enough DC excitement for the day :) I'm starting to read Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine because I've only heard wonderful things about it, but it's always hard for me to get through the initial chapters of any book, so I'm struggling before I completely get enveloped by the story and can't put it down.

If you need a new musical artist to listen to, I recommend Brett Dennen.

Quote from Dandelion Wine:
"Mom, Dad, Tom, wake up."
Clock alarms tinkled faintly. The courthouse clock boomed. Birds leapt from trees like a net thrown by his hand, singing. Douglas, conducting an orchastra, pointed to the eastern sky.

1 comment:

  1. Julie! Just Matt here checking in and giving you my blogspot address. Take care!

    ReplyDelete