Saturday, August 9, 2014

My View (vol. 18)


What I am Reading
: By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder; The American Presidency: Origins and Development, 1776-2007 by Sidney M. Milkis and Michael Nelson (fifth edition)

An interesting tidbit:
Controversies: the draft's constitution's slavery provisions came under fierce assault from several northern delegates, both the three-fifths rule for counting slaves as part of the population and the prohibition against laws banning the importation of slaves. The North's concern derived less from moral considerations than from fear of slave rebellions, which might attract foreign invaders and, in any event, probably require northern arms and money in order to be subdied. Southern delegates not only defended the provisions to protect slavery but also declared that their states would not ratify any constitution that placed slavery in jeopardy (Milkis, Nelson 19).
Favorite eats: Oatmeal with brown sugar and chia seeds. Carrots. Cheesecake.

This Week in History: Grace is officially sleeping through the night! Teething, etc. continues painful. I joined MOMS Club, went to morning mass at our new parish, and had online training for my teaching job. Oh! And we have officially been in Bethlehem for over a week. It feels good to be home.


Prayers: For the situation in the Middle East - every thing I read just breaks my heart. Such evil acts are happening to innocents. Lord, hear their prayers!!

Next week, I'm going to: Get real about updating our Google calender; finish putting things away from the move (almost there!!!); be excited about my sister coming to visit this next weekend!!; re-start my daily rosary and Scripture readings, more frequent mass, and my yoga routine -- working on my self-discipline.



Happy weekend!

1 comment: