Thursday, March 17, 2011

Go mbeannai Dia duit!

Go mbeannai Dia duit means "May God bless you" in Gaelic. The Robison clan is all wearing green today, and wishes you all a very happy St. Patrick's Day!

May your neighbors respect you,
Troubles neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And Heaven accept you.


May luck be our companion
May friends stand by our side
May history remind us all
Of Ireland's faith and pride.
May God bless us with happiness
May love and faith abide.

The High Kings singing "On the Rocky Road to Dublin":



May those who love us, love us
And those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts
And if he can't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping!


May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.
St. Patrick is important to we Irish Catholics not only because he is the patron saint of Ireland, but because he is the Apostle of Ireland- he brought Christianity to the blessed isle. It is a holy day of obligation in Ireland, so if Dad isn't in a meeting, I'm going to bring him to Mass with me today. At the very least, more people should see his shamrock tie and wonderful green plaid pants; although, Kato was teasing him this morning because we've turned his red hair gray! I'm wearing a kelly green cardigan and gold ballet flats. We're quite the festive bunch today! My mother and aunts are currently in warm, sunny Florida celebrating my grandmother's 75th birthday today too. May she have many more birthdays!

Here is a literal translation of St. Patrick's breastplate prayer, from the 5th century: 

I bind to myself today The strong virtue of the Invocation of the Trinity: I believe the Trinity in the Unity The Creator of the Universe.

I bind to myself today The virtue of the Incarnation of Christ with His Baptism, The virtue of His crucifixion with His burial, The virtue of His Resurrection with His Ascension, The virtue of His coming on the Judgement Day.

I bind to myself today The virtue of the love of seraphim, In the obedience of angels, In the hope of resurrection unto reward, In prayers of Patriarchs, In predictions of Prophets, In preaching of Apostles, In faith of Confessors, In purity of holy Virgins, In deeds of righteous men.

I bind to myself today The power of Heaven, The light of the sun, The brightness of the moon, The splendour of fire, The flashing of lightning, The swiftness of wind, The depth of sea, The stability of earth, The compactness of rocks.

I bind to myself today God's Power to guide me, God's Might to uphold me, God's Wisdom to teach me, God's Eye to watch over me, God's Ear to hear me, God's Word to give me speech, God's Hand to guide me, God's Way to lie before me, God's Shield to shelter me, God's Host to secure me, Against the snares of demons, Against the seductions of vices. 

St. Patrick, pray for us! Happy Thursday, Irish and non-Irish friends alike! Erin go bragh!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this prayer!! I'm not wearing green, but I don't think my parents are going to pinch me (and they may be the only people I see today). Someone told me that you don't have to wear green if you're Irish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day! I can't find any green! Eek! But I do have shamrock earrings on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great prayers and blessings Julie! Actually this is such a great thing to post on St. Patrick's Day because everything is always so secularly hyped. This is taking it back to the roots!

    Of course, I love the one about turning hearts and ankles so we can know who doesn't love us by the limp! Now that really sounds Irish! Don't want to be too serious do we?

    ReplyDelete